Skip to main content

Some mining firms support galamsey operation-Dr. Mantey



                                               Galamsey operation in Ghana

By: Fred Yaw Sarpong

Dr. Jones Mantey, a Ghanaian researcher has alleged that some mining companies in Ghana are supporting galamsey operations activities in the country.

He further alleged that these companies have been buying waste (mine dumps or tailings) from the galamsey operators, to boost their production cost.

According to him, most of the galamsey operators who goes into underground mining are able to get about 20% of the gold from what they gathered, leaving the remaining 80% as mine dumps or tailings.

“This is because the galamsey operators do not have the technology to extract all the gold. But the remaining 80% is much richer than the 20% they get,” he added.

He disclosed this to the Daily Express after he presented a research paper on “the footprints of galamsey in Ghana: the Western Region under the microscope”, at a workshop organized by the International Growth Centre (IGC) in Accra.

The workshop was on the theme: “Addressing the galamsey menace: challenges and opportunities”.

Dr. Mantey stated that after the operators have taken their 20% gold, they allow the mine dumps or tailings to pile up to a huge mounts and when they gather enough, they invites the some mining companies to buy them.

He said these mining companies buy these tailings to beef up their production. He declined to mention any specific mining company involved in this activities. However, he pointed out that “this has been going on in places like Tarkwa, Prestea and Bibiani in the Western region.”

“Currently these mining companies are not able to meet their production. Because of that they get gold from the tailings to beef up their production,” he further alleged.

“These companies have started buying the mine dumps from the operators, forcing the galamsey operation to continue operating. This also makes the mining companies to cut their production cost and save the environment as well. Buying the tailings means that they will minimize mining and stop cutting down trees,” he noted.

He said that these activities have both negative and positive implications. “It’s a fact that galamsey operators are selling mine dumps or tailings to some mining companies in the country. The positive aspect of this is that it allows the mining companies to cut down production cost and also save the land and forest from degradation. But the negative aspect is that it does encourage the galamsey operators to continue operation.”


He further stated that the galamsey operators have started revisiting the old pile-up tailings because they have realized the potential gold in them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deputy AG sues Facebooker over 'malicious' Ameri deal

The Deputy Attorney-General and Member of Parliament for Bolgatanga East, Mr Dominic Ayine has filed a defamation suit at an Accra High Court against a Facebook commentator, Evron Hughes.
In Mr Ayine’s statement of claim, sighted by Graphic Online, he accused Mr Hughes of defaming him in a post he authored and published on Facebook on December 21, 2015, titled “RE: AMERI TRANSACTION”.
According to the Deputy A-G, the “false and malicious” post has provoked “public disaffection” against him and exposed him to public ridicule and contempt.
Describing Mr Hughes as a “self-styled social media blogger and a social commentator”, Mr Ayine said the Facebook post had brought his hard-won reputation “as a respected politician, teacher and lawyer” into “hatred, ridicule, odium, discredit, contempt, opprobrium and reproach”.
The Deputy A-G said the “defamatory words” were authored with the sole intent to reduce him in the estimation of all right thinking Ghanaians, adding that he had received numerou…

Meet Ghanaian female shoemaker

The Saint Ozwald shoe brand

By: Fred Yaw SARPONG
The Daily Express

From her humble beginning in Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo region, a senior high female graduate from the Twene Amanfo Senior high in the Brong Ahafo Sunyani and a Ghanaian now boasts of being one of the most popular Made-in-Ghana shoe brands and has the most number of celebrity endorsements.
Sandra Ozwald, CEO of Saint Ozwald

After Sandrah Ozwald completed school in 2013, her parent couldn't have enough money to help her continue school so she planned to do something for herself by selling ice cream, groundnut cakes or food. Back at the senior high, Sandra used to make groundnut cakes, condensed toffees and ice cream to support herself since her mother couldn't provide all for her.

With 12 siblings and the only girl child (2nd born) among them, and whiles planning which of these to sell, Sandra attended a friend’s wedding and the grooms shoe looked so attractive to her.

According to her, the groom’s shoes were Ma…