Skip to main content

PIAC raises concern on development in the irrigation sector


By: Fred Yaw Sarpong

The Public Interest and Accountability Committee (PIAC) has raised concern about little development that has gone on in the irrigation sector across the country.

“We have seen some dams in the country but they are not enough,” the Chairman of the committee Professor Paul Kingsley Boah-Bassuah told the Daily Express.

The committee visited some irrigation dams at Jirapa in the Upper West region and others dams across the country to ascertain whether petroleum funds which were allocated to rehabilitate some irrigation dams have been used for that.

“We realized much has not been done. For instance, in 2015 PIAC report, an amount more than GHc15,000 was allocated to rehabilitate some dams in Upper West region. Upon our visit we did not see much works here. The committee is not convinced on level of work done,” he stated. 

He said that the committee will intensify it monitoring role to ensure that petroleum revenues are utilize for it purposes.

He indicated that the areas where the dams supposed to benefit are the potential farmers in the areas and to this end government should take the construction of such dams seriously so that farmers can depend on the dams for all year farming.

According to the PIAC 2015 report, approximately 67% (GHc39.95 million) of the total allocation to the agriculture modernization priority area was expended on goods and services as against approximately 33% (GHc19.60 million) going into capital expenditure.

It stated that approximately 74% (GHc29.75 million) of the Annual Budget Funding Amount (ABFA) allocations that went into the payment/procurement of goods and services was disbursed as counterpart funding for the 2nd Compact of the Millennium Challenge Account (MCA) whiles the remaining 26% (GHc10.2 million) was used to cover part of an outstanding bill under National Fertilizer Subsidy Programme.

The report mentioned that approximately 96% (GHc18.80 million) of the capital expenditure incurred in the agriculture sector and funded by the ABFA went into the construction and/or rehabilitation of irrigation dams in Northern Ghana with the remaining 4% (GHc0.799 million) paying for infrastructure in the Fisheries and Aquaculture sub-sector.



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PFM Act to guide local government authority borrowing

By: Fred Yaw Sarpong
The bill, Public Financial Management (PFM) Act 921 which has been passed into law by Parliament is to guide public institutions especially the local government authority borrowing. The law was pass on 3rdAugust, 2016
According to the law, local government authority, a public corporation or state-owned enterprise is liable for the debt and other obligations without recourse to Government, unless otherwise explicitly guaranteed by Government in accordance with this Act.
Madam Eva Esselba Mends, the Chief Economic Officer and Group Head of PFM at the Ministry of Finance told the Daily Express that the law involves a lot but it also give instruction to how state institutions can borrow especially with the  local government authority.
She mentioned that there is no specific law in place that gives direction as to what local authority can do when it comes to borrowing by the authority. Other public corporations sometimes borrow with huge amount for their operation but loca…

Tigo donates 540 tablet phones Death and Birth Registry

By: Sarpongs.blogspot.com 
Tigo Ghana has presented 540 tablets phones with internet connectivity to the Births and Deaths Registry (BDR) for the pilot phase of the automated birth registration programme.
This form parts of Tigo’s strategic focus to accelerate birth registration in Ghana through mobile technology. Tigo in partnership with UNICEF is providing this technology platform.
A statement from Tigo stated that the tablets will allow birth registration attendants from the Births and Deaths Registry to electronically capture details of all new births in 300 communities across Ghana.
The automated birth registration programme which was launched in May this year, is expected to make a significant contribution to an improved national average registration rate, an increase from 65 percent of all children under age one to at least 75 percent by the end of 2017.
According to Tigo, a successful pilot will also contribute to progress under Ghana’s National Civil Registration and Vital Statist…

Vodafone fined a record £4.6 million for IT blunder

A top-up error left pay-as-you-go customers out of pocket and complaints were mishandled
Vodafone has been fined a record £4.6 million by the telecoms watchdog forleaving thousands of customers out of pocket in a disastrous IT blunder.
Ofcom found that the operator mishandled complaints and failed to pay into the accounts of more than 10,000 pay-as-you-go customers when they topped up their credit.
The top-up error, which cost customers £150,000 over 17 months in 2014 and 2015, stemmed from the moving of 28.5 million accounts to a new billing system.Errors in billing data and price plans caused so much protest that it made Vodafone the most complained-about mobile network in Britain.The technical issues were resolved by April 2015 and all accounts are now on the new system, Vodafone said.
Lindsey Fussell, Ofcom’s consumer group director, said:“Vodafone’s failings were serious and unacceptable, and these fines send a clear warning to all telecoms companies.”
The company says that it has ref…