Skip to main content

Over 5,000 African migrants rescued at sea

More than 5,800 migrants have been rescued and 10 bodies recovered off the Libyan coast over the weekend, the Italian coastguard says.

The survivors were picked up from wooden and rubber boats, in 17 separate operations by Italian and French ships.

The migrants are now being taken to Italy. Rescue missions are continuing. At least 1,750 people have died this year trying to cross the Mediterranean, a 20-fold increase on the same period in 2014 when 96 people died.

The final number of people rescued over the weekend is expected to rise. The busiest two days for rescues so far this year were April 12 and 13, when 6,500 people were picked up.

Many more migrants are expected to make the crossing in the coming weeks as smugglers take advantage of calmer weather. In a separate incident on Sunday, three people died when a boat carrying migrants to Europe sank off Egypt's coast, according to Egyptian state media.

Thirty-one migrants were reportedly rescued. At an emergency meeting last month to discuss the crisis, European Union leaders said they would triple the funding for rescue operations run by EU border agency Frontex, and threatened to target smugglers' boats with military strikes.

Italy abandoned its Mare Nostrum search-and-rescue mission last year after some EU members - including the UK - said they could not afford to fund it.

The decision was widely criticised in April after more than 800 people died when a single boat sank - the deadliest capsize recorded in the Mediterranean. Some of the 27 survivors of the accident described being beaten by smugglers in an attempt to load more migrants on to the boat.

The overloaded vessel crashed into a cargo ship shortly after leaving Libya, causing panic on board. The dead were mostly Syrians, Eritreans, and Somalis - adults and children.

The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has said "much more" needs to be done beyond the EU's current spending plans to tackle the migration crisis in the Mediterranean.


Credit: BBC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PIAC told to go to court to enforce recommendations

By: Fred Yaw Sarpong
sarpong007@gmail.com

The Public Interest and Accountability Committee (PIAC), the mandated body to monitor the use of Ghana’s oil revenues has been asked to go to court to seek strict compliance of the laws covering accountability of oil funds in the country.

According to Dr. Steve Manteaw, the Campaign Coordinator for ISODEC and a member of the PIAC , it’s time for PIAC as a body to consider going to court to compel institutions responsible for managing Ghana’s oil revenue to answers some questions concerning the expenditure of oil funds.

He pointed out that there are several recommendations made by the PIAC in its past reports on management of petroleum revenues, and a lot of these recommendations has received no positive response from the institutions concerned.

He disclosed this to the Daily Express at a three-day workshop on Interrogating the 2016 Semi Annual PIAC Report at Koforidua in the Eastern Region.

The workshop was organized by the Institute of Financ…

BoG shuts down two financial institutions

The Bank of Ghana has closed down two financial institutions in the country. This was after the central bank investigation revealed that the two companies were operating without approval.

The two companies were Agro Development Fund Services Limited (ADFSL) and Hebron Financial Investment Limited (HFIL).

The Daily Express gathered that the ADFSL was asked to stop operating after the central bank realized the institution had not been licensed to take deposit from the public.

A statement from BoG said the ADFSL continued to operate despite the orders from the Bank of Ghana. It however closed down ADFSL’s operation until further notice.

The Bank of Ghana said that the ADFSL is located at Asufufu, opposite the Sunyani Traditional Council in the Brong Ahafo region.

“The decision to close down ADFSL is in furtherance of section 20(2) (g) of the Banks and Specialized Deposit-Taking Institutions Act, 2016 (Act 930). Bank of Ghana has investigated ADFSL thoroughly and has concluded that its a…

Graphic Communication Group staffs petition GJA Election Dispute Adjudication Committee

Some staffs of the Graphic Communications Group have petition the Election Dispute Adjudication Committee of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) concerning their grievances covering issues affecting the association.
The staffs of the company seeks some clarification on the mandate of the current executives of the association.

BELOW IS THE FULL STATEMENT (Not edited)
Dear Sir,
DISPUTE ABOUT THE MANDATE OF THE EXECUTIVES OF THE GHANA JOURNALISTS ASSOCIATION AND THE LEGALITY OF THE GJA ELECTIONS OF 2017
We the undersigned write to place before you our grievances covering issues affecting the Ghana Journalist Association, and we hasten to add that our grievances are placed before you in furtherance of our constitutional duty under Article 11 (e) of the 2004 Constitution of the Ghana Journalists Association.
We first of all seek clarification on the mandate of the current executives of the Association to be in office and take decisions to affect the wellbeing and welfare of the Associ…