Skip to main content

About 3.4 million persons employed in 2014


By: Fred Yaw Sarpong

National employment report from the Ghana Statistical Services (GSS) shows that about 3,383,206 persons were employed in 2014, according to the first phase of the Integrated Business Establishment Survey (IBES) report launched on Tuesday.

Out of the figure, 2,708,796 were employed in the services sector accounting for 80.0 percent in 2014. The in industry sector also employed 614,517 persons, representing 18.2 percent while agriculture (institutional) employed the least (59,893) number of persons representing only 1.8 percent.

The statistics shows that out of the total number of persons employed in 2014 in non-household establishments, 2,039,032 are males, representing 60.3 percent and the remaining 1,344,174 are females, accounting for 39.7 percent.

Meanwhile, a total of 1,284,340 persons, constituting 38.0 percent of the persons employed in all sectors are in the Greater Accra region. Out of which males consist of 801,925 while females were 482,415.

Ashanti Region has the highest number of persons (540,471) employed. Males accounted for more than half (313,813) of the total number of person employed.

The Upper West region has the lowest number (61,485) of persons employed in all sectors among the regions, with more males (61.4%) than females (38.6%).

On sex disaggregation of persons employed in large, medium, small and micro (LMSM) establishments, the report noted that while micro-sized establishments employ more persons relative to other LMSM establishments, the distribution pf persons employed by sex is very similar (male 566,187; female 540,784).

However, in the case of both large and medium-sized establishments, the number of males employed is about twice that of females (577,367) against 280,886 and 276,356 against 147,222 respectively).

Furthermore, the report mentioned that about six out of every 10 persons employed in small sized establishments are males.

In large-sized establishment, the report said there are more males than females in all 10 regions, with the Greater Accra, Ashanti and Western region having more than twice as many males as females.

It noted that establishments in the Greater Accra region employ 350,843 males (68.2%) compared with 163,475 females (31.8%). Ashanti region has the second highest number of large-sized establishments, employing 55,935 males and 27,849 females.

The Western region follows with 55,505 males and 24,705 females. Furthermore, establishments in these three regions together employ more than three-quarters (79.0%) of the total number of persons engaged in large-sized establishments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deputy AG sues Facebooker over 'malicious' Ameri deal

The Deputy Attorney-General and Member of Parliament for Bolgatanga East, Mr Dominic Ayine has filed a defamation suit at an Accra High Court against a Facebook commentator, Evron Hughes.
In Mr Ayine’s statement of claim, sighted by Graphic Online, he accused Mr Hughes of defaming him in a post he authored and published on Facebook on December 21, 2015, titled “RE: AMERI TRANSACTION”.
According to the Deputy A-G, the “false and malicious” post has provoked “public disaffection” against him and exposed him to public ridicule and contempt.
Describing Mr Hughes as a “self-styled social media blogger and a social commentator”, Mr Ayine said the Facebook post had brought his hard-won reputation “as a respected politician, teacher and lawyer” into “hatred, ridicule, odium, discredit, contempt, opprobrium and reproach”.
The Deputy A-G said the “defamatory words” were authored with the sole intent to reduce him in the estimation of all right thinking Ghanaians, adding that he had received numerou…

Meet Ghanaian female shoemaker

The Saint Ozwald shoe brand

By: Fred Yaw SARPONG
The Daily Express

From her humble beginning in Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo region, a senior high female graduate from the Twene Amanfo Senior high in the Brong Ahafo Sunyani and a Ghanaian now boasts of being one of the most popular Made-in-Ghana shoe brands and has the most number of celebrity endorsements.
Sandra Ozwald, CEO of Saint Ozwald

After Sandrah Ozwald completed school in 2013, her parent couldn't have enough money to help her continue school so she planned to do something for herself by selling ice cream, groundnut cakes or food. Back at the senior high, Sandra used to make groundnut cakes, condensed toffees and ice cream to support herself since her mother couldn't provide all for her.

With 12 siblings and the only girl child (2nd born) among them, and whiles planning which of these to sell, Sandra attended a friend’s wedding and the grooms shoe looked so attractive to her.

According to her, the groom’s shoes were Ma…