Skip to main content

STC MD seeks public private partnership for operation

By: Raphael Apetorgbor

The Intercity State Transport Company (STC) will not seek further support from the Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) for its operations again, the newly appointed Managing Director, Mr. Samuel Nuamah Donkor has stated.
The state transport firm is however seeking for a Private Public Partnership (PPP) with the private sector to fund its operations in order to turn around the economic woes of the company without the interference of its majority shareholder, SSNIT.
Mr. Nuamah Donkor told the press during it maiden management meeting in Accra that the STC will soon commerce digitizing its ticketing system so that customers can purchase their bus tickets online to avoid the long queues at the yard and thereby reducing congestion at the yard.
“We are interested in getting strategic partners to invest in the company so that we can reconstruct and get in new fleet of buses for our new routes,” he added.
He however noted that many people had proposed the complete privatization of the company, yet government had kept faith with its operations with the hope of transforming it into a viable and vibrant one to complement other private transport companies to provide quality services to the people.
He stated that the company is collaborating with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA)to establish a new vehicle testing and examination centre within its Accra yard.
The facility when established will help provide services on day and night basis to customers to reduce traffic and pressure at the DVLA offices.
The company was divested in 1997 under the Divestiture Implementation Programme, and the state pension fund manager, SSNIT, owns 80% as the majority shareholder, with the government of Ghana controlling the remaining 20%.


Popular posts from this blog

Deputy AG sues Facebooker over 'malicious' Ameri deal

The Deputy Attorney-General and Member of Parliament for Bolgatanga East, Mr Dominic Ayine has filed a defamation suit at an Accra High Court against a Facebook commentator, Evron Hughes.
In Mr Ayine’s statement of claim, sighted by Graphic Online, he accused Mr Hughes of defaming him in a post he authored and published on Facebook on December 21, 2015, titled “RE: AMERI TRANSACTION”.
According to the Deputy A-G, the “false and malicious” post has provoked “public disaffection” against him and exposed him to public ridicule and contempt.
Describing Mr Hughes as a “self-styled social media blogger and a social commentator”, Mr Ayine said the Facebook post had brought his hard-won reputation “as a respected politician, teacher and lawyer” into “hatred, ridicule, odium, discredit, contempt, opprobrium and reproach”.
The Deputy A-G said the “defamatory words” were authored with the sole intent to reduce him in the estimation of all right thinking Ghanaians, adding that he had received numerou…

PIAC told to go to court to enforce recommendations

By: Fred Yaw Sarpong

The Public Interest and Accountability Committee (PIAC), the mandated body to monitor the use of Ghana’s oil revenues has been asked to go to court to seek strict compliance of the laws covering accountability of oil funds in the country.

According to Dr. Steve Manteaw, the Campaign Coordinator for ISODEC and a member of the PIAC , it’s time for PIAC as a body to consider going to court to compel institutions responsible for managing Ghana’s oil revenue to answers some questions concerning the expenditure of oil funds.

He pointed out that there are several recommendations made by the PIAC in its past reports on management of petroleum revenues, and a lot of these recommendations has received no positive response from the institutions concerned.

He disclosed this to the Daily Express at a three-day workshop on Interrogating the 2016 Semi Annual PIAC Report at Koforidua in the Eastern Region.

The workshop was organized by the Institute of Financ…

Graphic Communication Group staffs petition GJA Election Dispute Adjudication Committee

Some staffs of the Graphic Communications Group have petition the Election Dispute Adjudication Committee of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) concerning their grievances covering issues affecting the association.
The staffs of the company seeks some clarification on the mandate of the current executives of the association.

Dear Sir,
We the undersigned write to place before you our grievances covering issues affecting the Ghana Journalist Association, and we hasten to add that our grievances are placed before you in furtherance of our constitutional duty under Article 11 (e) of the 2004 Constitution of the Ghana Journalists Association.
We first of all seek clarification on the mandate of the current executives of the Association to be in office and take decisions to affect the wellbeing and welfare of the Associ…